Monday 23 June 2008

Its the End of the Dream For Now...

For me (School holidays just ended), for France (Booted out of the Euro at the group stage, scoring just one goal), and probably for Italy (Spain will beat them, you'll see).

While I don't actually have any homework to complete now (None that I could find anyhow), as you can see I'm continuing my tradition of staying up the first night before school starts again. I should name this ceremony. Suggestions anyone?

We were supposed to watch Get Smart on Friday, but Bryant made the fatal mistake of returning home first, and getting held back by his mum. So there I was, stuck at AMK hub, regretting not checking the 5+ messages he sent me telling me that he went home first.

So I think to myself "I'm young, I'm all dressed up, I got money, and I've got time". So what do I do? Well, I traveled all the way to Paradiz for a solitary LAN session. Intended to play COD4 online, but the first place I went to couldn't get online for some reason. So I toyed around with CNC3 for awhile. Its true, all CNC games degenerate into mAjOR tANk rushes. Not that that isn't fun in itself. After playing Dawn of War for so long, its nice for a Yuri's Revenge veteran like me to finally be able to run over enemy infantry with vehicles.

After an hour I finally gave up mowing down NOD base after NOD base with Mammoth tanks, and decided to hop over to the next LAN shop to see if COD4 worked online there.

Joy indeed, it worked there. And even if the rest of the guys hadn't failed to get Get Smart tickets because they were sold out, I wouldn't have moved my ass from that seat. Turns out, its not that hard online. With a new account, I was beating people with Martyrdom perks. I was having so much fun *not* getting owned that I didn't notice Sam, Bryant and Shen Shin appear right beside me till Sam said "Cheng Heng, it doesn't count if you play against yourself"

We managed to find outside competition in the guys next to us, so it became a 4 vs 4 match between the two camps. I was worried they'd be horrifically good like some other COD4 players at LAN shops I've encountered, but the worries disappeared after the first minute. We maxed out the score cap at 75 kills, they were still meandering around 20. They gave up after awhile, I would have too. I'm not wasting precious time and money getting owned.

I gave up on the Last Stand perk. Hardly ever kill anyone with that, so I traded it in for Deep Impact to shoot through walls. Which means everything from doors to stone barricades when used with an RPD. Finally broke my streak of losing every team match I play in. Sam is frightening when he's mad, almost broke a hole in the table when he slammed it after I shot him out of a window with the mounted SAW at sniper range.

Highlight of it all though, was the final match. Because Jem arrived later, we had five people, so one team always had one more player than the other. And because all the computers he used hanged for some strange unknown reason, we allowed him to use an already existing account. He picked one that already was at level 50 at least, so he was running round with every perk and just about every weapon unlocked.

So as we connected to the Crash map...

----
Me : Right, so I'm a commie, Sam's a commie...Bryant is a Brit... Shen Shin is SAS as well...Jem is SAS...Wait, thats not good...

Sam : HELP ME BABY JEBUS!

Shen Shin : You're screwed Sam! You're SCREWED!

Me (muttering) : You know, I AM still here...
-----

And I did believe that Sam and I were going to get our butts handed to us. We were outnumbered and outgunned since every time Jem died he handed a Barrett rifle to either Bryant or Shen Shin, so all three of them were holding guns that were unlocked at level 49. Till I heard that.

Buoyed by Sam's immense belief in my gaming ability and Shen Shin's overwhelmingly optimistic view on our odds of winning, I rampaged my way to a 3 kill lead. Sam now suddenly looking like Duke Nukem himself had decided to join our team, obligingly acted as bait to lure the three into my sights, or basically just watching the door while we staked out in a building.

They couldn't get me with their Barrett rifles often since they were too busy taking cover from me and Sam, not that cover helped with Deep Impact. We won that match by 40 points. I got 18 kills, double that of anyone else. All three of them looked like they just got beaten by a chicken in Tic Tac Toe.


With the Chinese O-Level oral coming up, and the SPA not long after, its kinda hard to look forward to returning to school. Need something to look forward to. Like another LAN session.

No comments: