Saturday 18 August 2007

Speeches

While ordinarily not the most entertaining things to listen to, the class speeches in English, while not always well written, were hilarious, though not for their content at times. Jialei's speech had me laughing and swearing at the same time as he spoke on treating juniors as brothers and with respect, and not underlings. I have not heard a more hypocritical statement in a long while. According to Mark, he enjoys knocking down helpless junior scouts for fun. Of course, if he read this he'd probably protest in is whiny voice that they deserved it, but I'd just tell him to screw himself, as would the rest of the class.

I hadn't been listening properly properly to Mr Chua's instructions (No flaming groups of any sort), and constructed my first speech around how boring and dumb philosophy was. In a panic, I attempted to concoct a whole new speech on the spot, but failed miserably, stuttering in front of the class, until I gave up and stormed back to my seat. Mr Chua was kind enough to not mark my failed attempt, and allowed me to go up again on Friday. It pays to do your homework on time and well in times like these.

This time I was fully prepared, and spoke on the issue on whether what we are taught, what we see, and what we think is right or wrong. My argument was that thousands of years ago the ancient Greeks were sure everything they had thought about, and they thought the Earth was flat. Bryant gave a stunning defense of gaming, defying Jack Thompson and Hillary Clinton's claim that gaming making the youth violent (ie. Columbine and Doom, Virginia Tech and Counterstrike). Though it went way over the one minute limit and stretched into a six minute long ovation, Mr Chua gave him some very decent marks (18<).

Maths was a resounding success, with all my hours of mugging paying off well, with 33 and 34 out of 40 for A and E respectively. Could have gotten more, but one cannot really complain. Bryant and Sam did well in maths for the first time in a long while, not just passing, but grabbing an A1 each in one maths. One cannot believe that Adhitya got 32 for both, since he spends more time asleep than awake in any given class. Dad thinks that people like that actually study secretly.
=================================================
Micro: Can't believe that he got double A1s for both maths.

Dad : These people might secretly study son. I never went to any lectures in my first year at Melbourne Uni, and I topped the class didn't I??
=================================================

Rumours floated around the Full Lit was horrendous, but Mrs Ang is remarking, according to Ken. Guess both my humanities will be in the dumps this term. Thank goodness Dad can't give a damn about humanities. He thinks they're pretty useless since they don't really open up and career paths, and I have to agree with him. He's done a good job of ingraining engineer mentality into me....

No comments: