Thursday 3 May 2007

Why's Labour Day called Labour Day when you don't labour??

I made Tung's substitute look a little foolish on Wednesday. He took up more than half the board to work out one question everyone else couldn't do, even Zhongxi and Khai Sam. I'd already done in the the ten year series because thats where they fish all these revision questions from, and I solved in a much shorter number of steps. Seeing this as a golden opportunity to prove that my bid for top in A maths in class wasn't far fetched and outsmart an experienced teacher while I was at it, I announced I had a much shorter, faster and simpler answer. "How much shorter?" he asked. "Really short" I replied confidently, and scribbled five lines. When the class finally deciphered my horrendous handwriting, there were exclamations of "So easy?!?!?!", "So short only?!?!?", and most pleasant of all, "Cheng Heng pro!!" The sub scrutinized my working for awhile, probably looking for a mistake somewhere, but apparently found none and admitted I was right.

I also pondered the meaning of Labour Day. Why in the world is it called Labour Day, when we don't labour on it?? Okay, I spent it labouring, mugging actually. I guess most people have too. After about 3 hours of maths, I got bored and decided to write again, intending to spend about an hour on it. It took me another three hours to do this.


Homeward Bound
The long grasses billow in the wind
Far away from the city's din
In this ocean of gold and green
Where few have known and ever seen
Is a place where things go slow, especially life
No conflicts here, devoid of strife
An emerald shard of Heaven on Earth
It's Nature's Sanctuary, of infinite worth
The endless field goes on and on
My memories of this place are all fond
But the recollection I hold most dear
Of all the happy times I spent here
In the haven where life saunters at a leisurely pace
Is the eternal image of her face


Though many years have passed since then
I remember it as clearly as one possibly can
The first time I moved here, I noticed a tree
And under it, a girl who looked the same age as me
When she saw me coming, she waved and smiled
Calling for me to stay awhile
I walked over, and sat down
Next to the girl in the pink and white gown
I was a shy child, and I slightly feared
Having the pretty stranger sit so near
At first I didn't dare speak
But this girl was far from meek
"Hi! Did you just move here? Are you new?" she asked
With her bubbly disposition, we became friends fast
From then on, whenever we were free
We'd both head down to that old tree
We'd frolick and chase each other in the fields and then
In the midst of such fun and laughter, a beautiful friendship began



For the next five years, we would play
In that lovely field every single day
But one day we had to part
Destiny cruelly tearing us apart
My parents decided I belonged in the city, and I should return
The very thought of leaving her made my soul burn
We spent our last evening under the tree
Seeing her so sad really pained me
Tearfully, she asked why I had to go
I broke down too, and said I didn't know
We stayed there, watching the stars
The distance between us would soon be that far
There, nestled in each other's arms we lay
Until the inevitable break of day
As the sun came up into the sky
Once again, she began to cry
The sun lit up her eyes and long hair with its rays
As she whispered sadly "Promise you'll come back okay?"


Its been three years since that day
Once again I stand beneath the tree today
Silently thinking in reminiscence
Of her personality so effervescent
Everything is similar to the day I first came
The weather, the season, exactly the same
But this time, everything's so dreary
The emerald fields seem like deserted praire
Its now seems of life devoid
A giant empty abyssal void
Without her life this place is dead

Suddenly, a voice calls out to me in recognition
Could it be? I turn with anticipation
A hurtling body knocks me down
Emitting happy, joyous sounds
I look up and see her lovely face
I can't think, my mind's in space
"Sorry, I must be heavy"
Her crystal voice tinkles and apology
We get up and we embrace
She holds her head towards my face
Under the tree's leafy dome
She whispers the sweetest words "Welcome home"

Bryant's reaction

When shown to Bryant, he sandwiched a compliment between two insults, so I didn't catch it at first..


Me: How is it??

Bryant: Fuck you, how did you write this!! Its awesome!! Fuck you!!

Sam's reaction

Me: So what do you think??

Sam: I must wipe my ass with this so no one sees your talent

Aleena's reaction ( My other literature pundit)

Me: And your stand on it is??

Aleena: You considering publishing this??

I just realized, someone could steal all this and publish it as their own, that has me worried....
Maybe I should stop posting my works up here.....


Sad news, United lost 3-0 at the San Siro Stadium to AC Milan, after winning the first leg 3-2. There goes the Treble I guess. Well, at least that means Fergie won't be retiring too soon, he said he wanted one more Champions League trophy before he retires....

Some church people came to school during RME. You could have connected a brain activity meter to my head, and all you'd see is a flat line while they talked. Sounded like a bloody conversion session.



Hours Mugging: 30

No comments: