Sunday 18 February 2007

First Wave Of Collection, I mean visits.

Tons of people complain about their birthdays falling on the holidays, but Chinese New Year falling on your birthday is the best thing that can happen, especially if your relatives don't find out till the last minute. Too bad Bryant's fell one day too early. 8 p
My birthday kicked off with the first round of collection, whoops, visiting I mean, at my paternal grandmother's place. Good ol' grandma was the first to hit me with two hongbaos. The rest of my dad's sisters (my aunts) arrived a few minutes later, suprisingly giving me only one hongbao. I dropped hints that I turned fifteen today, with them finally realizing when I asked my mum "Where'd you buy my birthday cake from again?". The money really rolled in when everyone on my grandmothers side of the family came. It was hard to sit there and anwser to heavily made up aunts who haven't seen you for years and ask hell weird and stupid questions. Examples are whether I'd still do that little dance I did when I was four ( I never want to remember ), and whether I eat enough vegetables, and whether I had a girlfriend (Man, that question annoys me most, hello ladies, remember where I'm studying???!?!). In the end, the money makes it all worthwhile, especially with Bryant, Sam and me pooling together to get a 360 for the former.
After the standard reunion lunch, mum and dad rushed back to prepare for the party. They cooked non-stop from four thirty till evening, allowing me and my computer some quality time, only interrupted by dad's requests to fetch various kitchen apparatus. By seven the house was flooded with everyone on my mum's side of the family. I've always liked my maternal relatives more, mostly cause most are around my age. Second round of collection began, with even more aunts and uncles giving extra hongbaos cause they forgot my birthday as well. Mostly I just sat at my com till JC and Shi yan arrived. They're both my male cousins ( Shi yan's a second cousin actually ), one and two years older than me respectively. Great guys, the both of them.
Halfway through I thought it would be a good idea to invite Bryant on his first expendition to the Slums, since we live in the same neighbourhood anyhow. His mother was naturally concerned to send her only son into the Slums, but I guess he won the arguement. He seemed shocked to see that many people crowded into my house ( My mum has three brothers, two sisters, one cousin, all married and all have three kids on average, you do the math ). Kinda strange considering he has has just as many uncles.
Luckily for us, not too many people noticed him, so it saved me the trouble of having to introduce everyone to him one by one. Mostly we stayed in my room for the half an hour his mum gave him. His judgement of the Slums : Amazingly decent. He left before the thirty minutes was up ( I think it was the sight of my *very* old school ties ), even before we cut the cake........ 8 (
Feng Lan got me a present, but she wouldn't tell me too much about what it was. Worse still, both of us are so busy, there's no time this week to collect it from her 8 ( Poor girl's got no relatives here, they're all overseas. Really sad if you ask me.

Hongbao count : 11


Approx Value : Around $120 (give or take ten)


Presents: Liverpool Jersey ( 2005-2006 season, from dad) Mystery gift ( All FL would tell me is that its a ornament)

No comments: