Friday 5 June 2009

Dear Mr Bill Gates

I have managed to successfully buy, download, install and play Operation Anchorage from Games for Windows Live, despite your gargantuan efforts to prevent me from doing otherwise, and no doubt the Pitt and Broken Steel will follow closely behind this success. I may have wasted thirty bucks in my endeavor, but it was thirty dollars for a worthy cause.

Yes, your barriers to prevent people from purchasing Fallout 3's expansion packs from GFWL are not insurmountable. The fickleness of the download speeds and the unreasonable age limit were easily overcome, but then you started playing hardball.

Yes Mr Gates, the monkeys you hired to create GFWL almost had me there. For a period of time, GFWL would simply claim that nothing was available for purchase, and only after persistent trial and error did I finally manage to trick the system into letting the option to purchase Operation Anchorage.

Fortunately for me, my Fallout 3 was gifted through Steam, so I dodged your potentially fatal region coding.

But even then, I had to dig through the innards of my computer to move around the BSA files from the default download location into the right place in the operating files because I didn't buy Fallout 3 from GWFL.

Even after that, it was hours of wrestling with the data files before I could get Operation Anchorage to work.

But, eventually, I did get it working. And I enjoyed it. Chinese stealth armour is awesome, even the though the Crimson Dragoons weren't using it to it's maximum potential

Now, I'm not belittling GWFL Mr Gates, but really, something has to be done about it. From what I've heard, you've already fired the head chimp at the GWFL department, so I know you're aware of the problems with it.

While I could possibly labouriously figure out how to force GWFL to sell me the other DLCs, I'd really appreciate it if you helped out by fixing it. Or allowing people who know what they are doing to distribute it too *cough* Steam *cough*.

So yeah, get either one done pretty soon. Don't sweat too much about the problems with GWFL, had least it's a tiny boo-boo compared to EA's idea of SecureROM. I really ought to get the Psychotic Prankster achievement on whoever thought that one up.

Yours Sincerely
Micro

No comments: