Thursday 8 February 2007

Night Time Forest

Running through dense forest is not easy with a schoolbag, but I have to find her. I must find her. I trip a few times, as what weakened sunshine was left was blocked out by the dense trees, but I can’t stop now, the memory of our last heated conversation pushing me on, playing again and again in my head like a nightmare on tape, as I stumble through in the failing light.
Finally I reach it. The wall of trees suddenly opens up into a clearing in the middle of the forest. We’ve always thought this place had an unreal feeling to it, completely surrounded by battlements of foliage, and the eerie silence of it. Rather than fear it, we relished it. The place protected us, shielded us from the harsh realities of life, with the trees as our guardians. It was our own little oasis from the world of chaos and suffering, just for the two of us lonely outcasts that no one seemed to care about.
And right in the center, just as I had guessed, was her, just released from the captivity of school at the edge of the pond. Her short hair fluttered against her cheeks, blown by the breeze that always seemed to blow here.
She was like me in many ways. Never popular, slightly eccentric, and most of all, misunderstood. We both ranked low on the social pecking order, but we never cared because we had each other. We weren’t a couple. More like best friends. But it all changed in one day. We were at this spot (It was our studying grounds among other things). Quadratic equations are not particularly entertaining to the mind, and I soon dozed off in the afternoon light. When I arose, she’d fallen asleep next to me. Normally nothing big. Perhaps it was a trick of the light, or the magic of the whole place, but somehow, her face had become dazzlingly captivating, a lock of her hair falling across her gently sleeping face, a slight smile etched on it. Cupid must have swapped his bow and heart tipped arrows for an anti-tank rifle and armour piercing rounds. Unable to stop myself, I slowly brush the hair off her face, now looking like a creation of her namesakes. She suddenly moans and rests her head on my shoulder, still asleep. At that instant, the slight crush I had nursed on my only true friend had turned into love. I dared not show any sign of it openly, and I was so desperate to express my feelings about her to someone, but who? Angel had been the only person I’d ever been able to confide in, so I described her to herself, saying it was another girl. She listened to me, as she always had, but she seemed sad every time I brought it up, even angry. Without knowing it, I had slowly driven her away from me.
It all seems so distant, now that I’m here to try and make amends one last time, before my love will die where it was born. “I knew you’d be here” I said. She seemed surprised at my sudden arrival, but quickly turned to leave. “Please Angel, I’m sorry…..” I blurt, not knowing what else to say. “Listen, why do you still care about me? Just leave me alone! Go back to that girl you keep talking about” she says before turning away, with what seem like tears in her eyes.
It’s all over anyway, I might as well tell her, tell her that that she can’t imagine what I would do to make her happy, that she means the entire world to me. And that I would gladly trade my life for hers in danger.
“You know that girl I was telling you about?” I say as I close the distance between me and her. “Its you.” The words have barely rolled out of my mouth when it makes contact with hers. Then I realize she isn’t pushing me away or slapping me. And unless my sense of feeling has died or something, she’s kissing back. Can it be? We fall to the grass, still connected. I open my eyes, expecting to see the white of my bedroom ceiling. Instead, I see her lovely face, with the swaying grasses and the dark night sky behind. I pull her closer, her on top of me, and we just lie there, gazing into each others eyes through our specs. Our breathing fell in sync, our chests rising and falling together. Even our hearts seemed to beat together. At that point, she really looked like an Angel. “I love you Angel” was all I could get out before we locked lips again. Strangely, I feel no urge to tear off her school pinafore and make love with her right here and right now. All I want is to just stay like this forever. Maybe its pure love?
We completely forget the rest of the world, lying there in each other’s arms. Right then, all that exists in the world are the two of us, watching the stars in the sky.

No comments: